Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A great afternoon with Crystal, Siphon and her 2009 calf!

Hello everyone, what a great trip we had this afternoon! Again with some strong fall winds but hearty passengers we made our way off towards the Wolves to search for humpbacks. When we arrived we found 3 familiar humpback whales: Crystal (who earlier in today's trip I mistakenly ID'ed as Notchy, as you will hear on the video), Siphon and her precious 2009 calf. There are 2 things that I will always remember about the 2009 season...the incredible amount of time we were able to spend with North Atlantic right whales and my first season with mom/calf humpback pairs. Siphon's baby girl is so amazing to watch, today at the surface rolling over, showing her flukes and pectoral flippers and surfacing slowly....tail first! We also got to see Crystal slapping "her" huge pectoral flippers on the surface....I just LOVE the pectoral flippers of humpbacks!!

These are videos from this afternoon's departure. The reason that I mistook Crystal for Notchy is the similarity in their dorsal fins, but as soon as I saw a piece of Crystal's fluke I knew who it was!





It was great to see Crystal, Siphon and her calf today, it had been about 2 weeks since we had seen all 3 of them.



Thanks for checking in today, the photo below is Siphon's calf.

Cheers,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment